Do I need insurance to conduct a prescribed fire?

Insurance is not a requirement for conducting prescribed fires. There are a few states that have insurance requirements in their burn certification programs. Check your state laws or requirements for specific information.

Insurance is a form of risk management that can be used when conducting prescribed fires. There are a few insurance companies that will insure prescribed burn activities. Insurance can provide burners the peace of mind of liability protection. In many states, landowner farm and ranch liability policies will cover damages caused by an escaped fire. However, check the policy for details and with your local agent to make sure.